Thursday 20 December 2007

Piparkökur - Pepper Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 500 g. flour
  • 500 g. brown sugar
  • 250 g. butter
  • 2 ea. eggs
  • 5 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. ginger
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. powdered cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. paprika

Modus operandi:

  1. Mix together the dry ingredients.
  2. Add the soft butter and eggs and knead until smooth.
  3. Stand in the refrigerator over night.
  4. Roll out into even sausage shapes, pinch off small portions and make little balls out of the dough. Flatten slightly with your hand.
  5. Bake at 200°C until dark brown (I found about 8 mins was right)

Own notes:I found this recipe at Jo's Icelandic Recipes. I only made half of the quantity as an experiment for visiting friends, and got about 65 cookies from that (as far as I could keep count, since several were stolen and consumed in the batch-baking process...). I have to say I was very pleased with these - they didn't last the evening and I'll probably have to make the bigger quantity next time!

No comments: